Punk Rock and P. Allen

P. Allen Smith's lovely acre vegetable garden.

I religiously fail in the garden.  And my hope is that by sharing my flubs with PRG readers, wise folks will benefit from my mishaps or at least find my debacles entertaining.

So imagine how incredibly flattered Miss Perpetual Garden Wrong is to be invited to meet Mr. Perennial Garden Right.

P. Allen Smith, one of the most influential garden communicators today, is hosting a retreat for 20 some garden bloggers at his lovely Garden Home in Little Rock, Arkansas in April.  And yes, I am included.  It’s called Garden2Blog.

In case you live under a garden gnome and don’t know him, P. Allen Smith is host of a long-running PBS gardening show and a syndicated gardening show, frequent contributor to the Today Show, author of a slew of successful gardening books, award-winning garden designer and Certified Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society.

Me?  I have a shovel.

Something we do have in common is our compassion for chickens. Impressively, Smith founded the Heritage Poultry Conservancy in 2009. This organization works to preserve and support threatened breeds of domestic poultry.

Smith is opening his home to garden bloggers for some brainstorming and fun.

“I’m looking forward to welcoming everyone to the Garden Home Retreat and getting to know individuals in the online gardening community,” said Smith,  “It’s such a creative and knowledgeable group coming to visit. I can’t wait to see what shakes out of our time together.”

Knowledgeable? He must not have meant me…  Creative? I might qualify there.

I like to grow new plants, try new gardening approaches, and I like to continually cultivate my own personal gardening style.  Constant learning keeps gardening fresh.

P. Allen Smith is clearly trying something new by hanging out with garden bloggers.  I’ve MET some of the characters he’s invited. I hope he knows how dangerous and silly we can be.

Seriously, I expect to learn a lot during my time at the Garden Home Retreat and I hope I can share just a little something with Allen and his staff. Garden2Blog is a wonderfully innovative concept.

All self-deprecating aside, my point with PRG is to demystify gardening. Smith has spent his life creating beautiful gardens and sharing information so others can be successful gardeners on their own.  For both of us, it’s about spreading gardening passion and making it accessible.

One does not have to possess special powers, know secret spells, or sport a flowered, superhero cape to have great fun and success – if not perfection – in the garden.

I can’t wait to share more about this opportunity with you. Of course, there will be photos!  P. Allen Smith’s company paid my travel expenses to make the visit possible.

Planted in Features and tagged as , , · Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

About the Author

Laura Mathews

Laura is a garden writer and photographer. She writes online content for gardening websites, writes for gardening publications and blogs for three gardening blogs. Her interests are local food, organic gardening, backyard homesteading and native plants. She assists gardening related clients with social media. And occasionally, she'll offer a solicited opinion as a garden coach.

11 Comments

1. Great post. Can’t wait to brainstorm and hang you with you there!

# Posted on March 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm by Kerry
  2. This is very cool news. Congratulations, Laura! Can’t wait to read about your experience.

# Posted on March 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm by paula lewis
  3. The excitement is growing here at my humble Southern California ranch and home to Moo Poo Tea as I read the blogs and learn more about the wonderful garden bloggers I will be meeting thanks to P Allen Smith and his in sight to bring us together. I look forward to meeting you Laura! Annie

# Posted on March 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm by Annie/Haven Brand
  4. AWESOME…. Getting super excited to check out the P.Allen Smith gardens and landscape designs. It is going to be wonderful to network gardening with you Laura! Happy Spring!

# Posted on March 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm by Bren
  5. Laura,
    I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to meeting you at the event. You are a talented writer and your blog is very cool.

# Posted on March 29, 2011 at 10:49 am by Jacqueline D'Elia
  6. I’m insanely jealous that you get to check out P. Diddy’s (that’s what I call he of the tan pants and chambray shirt) digs. Can’t wait to read all about it.

# Posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:00 am by Erin
  7. Look forward to meeting you at the event Lauran

# Posted on March 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm by Mike Lieberman
  8. Damned machine is actin whacky, I know your name is Laura.

# Posted on March 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm by Mike Lieberman
  9. Love this post. Even though I work for “Mr. Perennial Garden Right” my thumb is more brown than green. My garden consists of 4 small raised beds surrounded by hog wire to keep the dogs out. The rest of the yard is dirt, weeds and a few patches of St. Augustine. It’s not much but everyday I can’t wait to get home so I can check on it to see what’s new. Looking forward to meeting you in April.

# Posted on March 30, 2011 at 9:57 am by Mary Ellen
  10. Laura, This was such a delightful post, and a great way to introduce the event. Plus, aren’t you totally lusting after P. Allen Smith’s veggie garden? As long as I don’t need to weed it myself, I would totally love to have that gorgeous garden behind my house. Cheers! See you soon, Teresa

# Posted on March 31, 2011 at 10:18 am by Teresa O'Connor
  11. How exciting! Can’t wait to hear more.

# Posted on April 6, 2011 at 10:18 am by Jen

2 Trackbacks

1. By Win P. Allen Smith Products … And More on April 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

[...] could certainly relate to what my friend Laura Mathews of Punk Rock Gardens wrote about her invitation. After all, we’re just ordinary folks, who happen to be [...]

2. [...] I watched P. Allen Smith walk and talk around his Arkansas home this spring during Garden2Blog, I found my passions united.  Allen, the consummate teacher, led me to see cohesiveness between my [...]